Monday, January 21, 2008

Training Update

Training HAS RESTARTED!!!

After finishing the musselman last summer, I toned down the training regimen - only a few workouts a week with nothing really too punishing. Turns out that I really need something to aim for or else the motivation meter is lacking. In any event, I joined the "flabfest" at work. The "flabfest" is a contest among certain co-workers to test overall fitness. I figured with my on-going training, i would blow the others out of the water.

IMG_0010

To make things fair, I run in flip flops in certain triathlons.



The events are as follows and each event is 100 points max:

1. About a three mile run from Riverfront Plaza, around Belle Island and back.
Time for 100 points is 24 minutes. This is a somewhat challenging run with hills, bridges and trails.
2. Pull ups - 10 equals 100 points.
3. Max pushups in 2 minutes. I think max is 60 for 100 points.
4. Situps - 80 in 2 minutes is 100 points.
5. Weight loss - 10% is 100 points.

We started the contest around mid October - the first check in was December 13th - the final check in is Fat Tuesday.

At the first check in - I fared somewhat poorly:
1. Three mile run - 24:30 and I was winded. Luckily I beat the competition by about 2 minutes.
2. Pull ups. I am not sure that I should actually publicly say this, but I only did 4 pull ups. Quite sad.
3. Push ups. I think that I did like 42.
4. Situps. I recall 70.
5. Weight loss - 1/2 pound. Now when i was training for the half, I only lost like 9 pounds. This could be an issue.

Overall I ended up in second place. However, I had only really started to get kicked back into gear for training. I signed up to do the ING Georgia Marathon, which is run at the end of March to get some motivation. I did the half marathon here last year, so why not the full this year? So, I downloaded a training plan from this Internet thing (thanks Al Gore!) and last weekend was a 14 mile run. This was my longest run ever - I was not sore the next day, so I think I need to teach myself to push faster and more into the uncomfortable zone. Anyway the program builds up to a couple of 20 milers, which should be fun.

Additionally, I've started to get back spinning on the bike in front of the TV...only problem is that I broke my fluid trainer and have been using the magnetic one. I've been planning on buying a new tribike, but have had trouble getting to the bike shop to get fitted and get the order in. My tri-shop of choice is not open on Sunday or on holidays. Here is a photo of the bike I am going to buy (unless I hate the "fit"!) :



Finally, I was going to start swimming...TODAY, but I went to the "Y" and the pool was closed!!! C'est la vie?

No comments: