Sunday, February 17, 2008

Amazing Grace

Working for a large (read: huge) company: dangerous to your health - because the travel hits into your workouts.


This week was not that fun and cut into my training:


-Monday: flight to LGA at 6am, back to RIC at 1:30am.


-Tuesday: Work late.


- Wednesday: work then fly to DEN (via CLT) and arrive around 2am (EST).


- Thursday: meeting in the AM and then back to RIC via CLT, get home at midnight.


- Friday - early meeting and tons of work





As it turns out, working out can be dangerous to your health as well:



- I had a long run scheduled for saturday am. The weather was brillantly sunny and about 45 degrees (in other words, perfect) when I left the red house to start off. I'm running along, down Monument Ave, feeling pretty good - the ipod is rocking and I believe that the birds might have been singing as well. In any event, I get to Monroe Park at VCU and have to cross my first major street - Belvidere. So I'm running along and the light turns from Red to Green (in my favor), the "walk" symbol comes up so I start to run across the street and then a red station wagon comes out of nowhere (well it was behind me on Franklin Street turning right on to Belvidere) and misses running me over by about 6 inches. I actually reached out and slapped the car as i jumped back and screamed "WHAT THE (h-e double hockey sticks)!!! I'm glad that it was me crossing the street not someone pushing a stroller or something!







Note: these things can be dangerous !!!

As it turns out almost getting killed while running really gets you ready to run fast - I would guess that my next mile was about 7 minutes. So, there I am running along thinking "wow, I'm lucky to be alive" when THE RED STATION WAGON PULLS UP BESIDE ME!!! The lady driving the car actually turned around to chase me down to APOLOGIZE! Wow. I think that I would have been too embarrased if i almost killed someone to apologize. Now this was strange, but nice. I gave the lady a quick "don't worry about it" and kept running along toward the capitol building. The rest of the 2 hours and 1o minutes was pretty uneventful, albeit somewhat muddy in the James River Park portion of the run. So when I got home I found some realy nice salt encrusted mud on my face.

No comments: